Photo archive at the Cairo Department
The image archive of the Cairo department includes more than 500.000 documents.


The photo archive of the German Archaeological Institute Cairo was founded in 1907. After having been confiscated as a result of the Second World War, it was officially assigned to the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities in the post war years. Since its reopening in 1957, a new archive image collection was gradually built up. Today it consists of more than 500 000 images of different format (miniature films b&w, 6x6-medium-format, sheet films, glass plates) which are maintained by the archive. Since 2001 its repository also includes digital images


Abteilung Kairo
31, Sharia Abu el Feda
11211 Kairo - Zamalek
+20 (0)2 2735-1460