Photo archive at the Madrid Department
Founded in 1954, the image library of DAI Madrid is a comparatively young collection. Thanks to acquisitions and legacies bestowed by scholars, the inventory also includes older historical photographs and glass negatives. The Madrid Department’s image library is one of the largest archaeological image collections on the Iberian peninsula. It mainly includes images of findings from Spain, Andorra, Gibraltar, and Northwest Africa from the Paleolithic era to the Middle Ages.

History

Die Fotothek wurde am ersten Arbeitstag nach der Wiedereröffnung des Instituts in der Calle Serrano 159, am 3. März 1954 ins Leben gerufen. Allerdings sind mit wissenschaftlichen Nachlässen auch ältere Fotos und Glasnegative hinzu gekommen.

Nach Gründung der Außenstelle Lissabon (zuletzt: Avenida da Liberdade 244, 7. Stock) im Jahr 1971 wurde auch dort 1977 ein Fotoarchiv eingerichtet. Der Grundstock bilden etwa 10.000 Negative aus dem ehemaligen Besitz von Vera Leisner († 31.5.1972). Die zahlreichen Schwarz-Weiß-Abzüge befinden sich jetzt in der portugiesischen Denkmalbehörde (DGPC) in Lissabon, die Negative gehören zum Bestand der Fotothek in Madrid.

Liste der Fotografinnen und Fotografen
Tejerina (1954 bis vermutlich 1956)
Rolf Wunderlich (1957; 1963-1964)
Dr. Detlef M. Noack (1959-1963) (seit 1967 Prof.)
Barbara Grunewald (1964-1965)
Peter Witte (1965-1998)
John Patterson (seit 1998)

Contact

Michael Kunst
Fotothek
Abteilung Madrid
Serrano 159
28002 Madrid
 
+34 91 5610904