Statutory legal form
The DAI is a federal agency operating within the area of responsibility of the Foreign Office. With its head office in Berlin, the Institute has its own seal, its own assets and the right to scientific self-government.
History of legal status
The German Archaeological Institute has had a varied history in terms of its legal status. It began life as a privately founded institute, the Instituto di corrispondenza archeologica, established in Rome in 1829 under the patronage of the Crown Prince of Prussia. In 1871 it was transformed into a Prussian state institution with the name Institut für archäologische Correspondenz, before becoming an institution of the Reich in 1874. In 1887 its name was officially changed to Kaiserlich Deutsches Archäologisches Institut ("Imperial German Archaeological Institute) and then in 1914 to Archäologisches Institut des Deutschen Reiches ("Archaeological Institute of the German Reich").
From 1874 onwards the DAI belonged to the remit of the Foreign Office. In 1934 it was briefly put under the control of the Reich Minister of the Interior and then of the Reich Minister of Science, Education and Culture. Under trust administration by the state of Berlin in 1945, the Institute was afterwards assigned to the Federal Interior Ministry portfolio. In 1970, by order of the Federal Chancellor (Willy Brandt), the Institute again came under the remit of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Hans Meyer, Der Rechtsstatus des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts. Rechtsgutachten, Archäologischer Anzeiger 2004/2, S. 155–220. (s. Downloads)