"kulturweit" ("culture-wide"): volunteering in DAI guest countries
Have you ever wanted to live abroad for several months or even a year? Interested in international collaboration, cultural and educational policies? Want to find out what the work of a German research institute abroad entails? "kulturweit", the joint Youth Volunteer Service Program of the German UNESCO Commission and the Federal Foreign Office may be just your thing! As an active program supporter, DAI offers numerous volunteer work opportunities in our international departments.
"kulturweit" was initiated in 2009 as an international volunteer service in the culture sector. It is designed for high school graduates, university students and university graduates aged 26 and lower who would like to spend 6 to 12 months volunteering in one of our international departments.
The program is designed to promote intercultural skills and open-mindedness as well as participants' interest in civil society, international collaboration, and intercultural dialogues. As a "kulturweit" volunteer at DAI you will learn more about international cultural and education policies and get to know multilateral collaborations in a German research institution.
Our volunteers work in different areas in our international departments. Tasks include the preparation, publication and presentation of archeological archives as well as library and archive work and public relations.
Interested in the "kulturweit" Youth Volunteer Program? Want to Learn more? Write to our project coordinator Margarete van Ess at email@example.com. She'll be happy to answer your questions.
How to apply and what you need
1. General requirements for "kulturweit" volunteers
- Excellent verbal and written German skills
- Local language skills (country of destination) are an advantage but not essential
- Age: 18 to 26 years
- Duration of the volunteer program: 6 or 12 months
2. Requirements for volunteering at the Deutsches Archäologisches Institut (DAI)
- General university entrance qualification (Abitur/high school diploma)
- Very good English skills
- A good final grade in German
- Interest in and passion for learning languages
- Passion for the history and archeology of the guest country
- Willingness to participate and special interest in (possibly dry) scientific research
- Ability to work in a team as well as independently (under guidance)
- Ability and willingness to live independently in the guest country
- International experience
- Good IT skills
3. How to apply
You can apply online on the "kulturweit" website at www.kulturweit.de. Just fill in the online form and enter "DAI" as your institution of choice. It is impossible to apply directly at DAI.